15 March 2006

uno


Washington DC was FANTASTIC! I have got a nasty, nasty case of the Potomac Fever. That city reminded me of Rome, only better-organized, cleaner, and safer. Plus the people were friendlier. And everything was in English. It now rivals Chicago in my book, which-- for anyone who knows me-- is really saying something. It was so refreshing to be around people who are actually passionate about this silly democratic republic, and about making it function the way it should. It was hopeful to see that there are people who are not apathetic and who are not passive. People who participate. Plus I got to flick off the White House.

I mastered the Metro rail system. And I mean dominated. I even gave directions to a big group of confused people. Along with changing your travel plans mid-ride, and memorizing your home stop, lines, and surrounding stations, I think that giving directions is one of the biggers steps I took towards moving one level above "tourist." As Ange would put it, I am "map savvy." I kind of feel as if I deserve a certificate or something. But my self-satisfied smugness will suffice.

It sucks a little to be back at Augie. But just a little. It is absolutely unreal that we leave for Germany NEXT WEEK. I am so EXCITED!




No comments: