30 June 2006

finally


I wonder if there are people whose lives are actually like Sex in the City. Spending their days working out and shopping and writing newspaper columns, and spending their nights drinking brightly-colored cocktails with their girlfriends, then making love with men who are somehow independently wealthy and apparently dime-a-dozen. Every week there's a new man in your bed, but it's ok, because you'll laugh about it over lunch at some trendy cafe the next afternoon. Then it's back to the fabulous club openings, where you never have to worry about what to wear because your closet is like an obscenely-fashionable-Mary Poppins' carpet bag, and you will undoubtedly meet a new stud or two or seven.

I suppose the reality of city life is that while it might be glamorous and elite for, well, for the elite, it just seems as if it would be kind of lonely. Unless you moved there with someone you knew, or had a built-in scene to belong to, like a good job or a school or a church-- how do you find a place? I would love to live in the city someday, but how do you keep from being a nobody? I guess that's the problem everywhere, though. How do you keep from (oh this is awful) becoming bourgeois? I finally found a way to tie in my title apparently. I should have called it anti-bourgeois, or resisting bourgeois, but I guess I couldn't resist the alliteration.

Back in the real world, I'm going to Michigan with Tyler and his family for the fourth and next week. Should be a great time! Then on the 10th I start teaching lessons at Lifetime. Gah! My first lesson went pretty well, considering that the kids were crazy. A good test, I suppose!

No comments: